Saturday, December 8, 2007

Puddle Pedal

Was it because of the fact that I watched Rush Hour 3 yesterday or was it the tiredness I gained over a period of ‘hardly working’ days or was it the cholay batura I had, at my PhD qualified friend’s place, that I decided to bid my goodbyes even before the clock struck 1 am, is a question even I can’t answer. With the heavens pouring with a cold heart, luckily I stuck on to my one and only orange coat which was water proof of all the winter attire. As I stepped out of the ‘F’un block, my glasses were spotted with the showers in an instant. The temperature too dropped in a couple of hours by at least 5 degree Celsius (still I prefer Celsius to Fahrenheit even in US).

First of all, I was lazy enough to even think about climbing 3 floors, disturbing the introduction of Chris Tucker in the movie and the usual jumps of the stairs. But this was not the only reason I decided to go in the rain. The secondary thoughts were much more ‘enticing’. I had my roomies bicycle, I had a cap, I had a hood in my orange coat, it was water proof, of course it was raining heavily, the weather though cold, wasn’t low enough to freeze me to death and finally I had ‘a raincoat’. Take that ‘huh?’ look of your face. Being a Chennaite, where showers are rare to see and if they come, there is always a schedule in the way it pours. Be it school time or play time, it never showers and so my dad (being the mystic reader of rains), never bought me an umbrella or a raincoat. Seriously saying, back in the good ol’ days, raincoats were considered to be a fashionable cool attire by most teenagers.

Having all the ingredients to get drenched in rain (and still stay healthy), I just picked the bicycle and started cycling fast. Water splashed all over my jeans, glasses fogged with the cold, even my socks got wet and thanks to the ‘mudguardless’ cycles here in the US, the rear of my coat was splattered with rainwater. Instead of quitting the pace, I raced towards my house and slowly started drifting in the longer direction. Never missed a puddle of water and it was fun. Brakes were slipping, wheels skidding and the sky pouring; my sleeps all gone and am still thinking of hitting the sack….. Pedaling in puddles has got a ‘check mark’ at its side.

1 comment:

sri said...

Wow literally I am drenched now :))
Yes chennaites dont hate rain, It rains often in singapore, yet I dont carry umbrella or coat, - A reason to get wet :)