Thursday, January 10, 2008

Swiper Viper


After all the New Year fun in Navy Pier we decided to get back on road back to Lexington. Once I reached our car parked a couple of blocks away from my roommate’s cousin’s place, I was blank when I saw our red car covered entirely in inches of white snow (duh… have I ever seen snow of different color?). I started my engine, and switched the viper on. The loose snow broke into a mini avalanche sliding off the windshield. But the condensed ice on the windshield remained resilient. Turned on the viper wash, and to my confusion, the pores were all blocked with more ice. Instead of panicking in the -18 degree C cold, I just looked inside the car for a scrapper. As I expected, being a rental car, that too from a Toyota showroom, I wasn’t provided with one.

No water to wash the windshield too (don’t give me the crap of, ‘you can’t use water on ice coated windshield.’ Remember I’m a Chemical Engg). As my eyes gazed out for a possible source of ice remover, it focused on a tetra pack of strawberry banana juice. Hehehe. The evil in me just made me use it to wash my windshield. Moments later, after removing 40% of the thick ice, I was stranded for any more cool ideas to scrape the remainder of the ice. With no sharp objects except my glasses and the car keys in sight, I was a little puzzled over the issue.

A little thought of how Dreufus used his tie as a fanning belt, made me look for options. My pupils dilated in the eyes piercing ice weather as I came up with an idea. I took my wallet out, took my over-dued maxed out visa card from Citibank and smiled at its edge. I started scraping the windshield with the credit card and it gave an immaculate finish on the glass. A few more strokes and we were all set to pick my roomies for the drive back home.

Being a researcher let me put it in journal words. To conclude, we have carried out swiping experiments using a novel plastic slab, sharp enough to slit a throat, on scraping condensed ice and from the glass water condensation crystal deposit studies, we have shown that credit cards can be used as vital tools for the potential removal of harmful and hindering condensed solid water crystals off the surface of hardened near optical wavelength filtered silicon dioxide. (Blitzkrieg – am losing it). Wow! I just googled for a credit card and look at it 'Drivers Edge'

No comments: